Listen and read
Lecture, Articles, interviews and more
In Search of Beauty, In Light of Hope
In connection with the group exhibition, ALIVE at ATELIER Studio|Gallery in Nelson New Zealand, watch the recording of the International Artists’ Conversation via Zoom – In Search of Beauty, In Light of Hope. R. Sawan White. The search for beauty is a universal, unyielding longing towards things being made right, whether in the aesthetic, physical, or spiritual realm. Notions of contemporary beauty are wrapped up in concepts of justice, the sublime and even in some cases faith. The work of R. Sawan White embodies a seeking towards beauty and our relationship with it as it mirrors our relationship with the spiritual.
My 2021 Conversation with Atelier Gallery director, David James first aired live from Nelson, New Zealand and my studio in Rhode Island.
Spread Beauty, Not Covid
Read the article in The Valley Breeze all about my 2020 project, Spread Beauty, Not Covid.
In the first days of the Covid-19 lockdown, I held a giveway – one print a day mailed to a randomly selected name from those who had entered. Spreading a little joy during a difficult time. Prints where sent to over 25 states and 3 countries.
Listen to my Interview with Alex Mejias on The AM Frequency Podcast
Lectures and speaking engagments
I have had the great joy and privilege to work with many Art Museums, Art Leagues, Schools, Universities, and other Non-Profit Organizations over these past many years. Whether teaching technique and skill through workshops and seminars, or discussing theory, history and research at a lecture or conference; being involved with others in these ways is inspiring and challenging to me as an artist. If you would like to more about any of these programs or to contact me about availability please email me email@example.com.
- Contemporary Beauty: An Examination of Aesthetics within Contemporary Art, Virginia Museum of Fine Art
- Postmodernism and Personal Identity: A look at the shifting roles of portraiture in
- Postmodernism, Virginia Museum of Fine Art
- The Mould and Deckle: An overview of Papermaking, Virginia Museum of Fine Art
- The Figure in Art: A Survey, Various Organizations
- The Anatomy of a Painting: A look at the fundamental elements of Art within masterpieces, Westminster Canterbury Summer Lecture Series
- Art and The Narrative: a study of story throughout Art History, Westminster Canterbury Lecture Summer Series July 2011
- Impressionism: Influences and Impacts, Westminster Canterbury Lecture Summer Series
- Creativity, Your Brain and 1000 Grains of Rice: What current neuroscience can tell us about being creative, Virginia Association of Independent Schools
- Art and Social Action: Using the Arts to teach Engagement and Empathy, Virginia Association of Independent Schools
- The Other Side of Inspiration: a discussion with R. Sawan White on creativity, Orchard House School
- The Makers Series: with author Amy Julia Becker, artist R. Sawan White and musician Andy Zipf
- Education Panel Contributor, Common Good RVA 2014 Conference: an exploration of faith, neighborhoods, and vocation